Friday, May 17, 2013

4 Tips That Are Changing My Life

I know, that sounds really dramatic.  What can I say, I like to be dramatic.  Remember how I mentioned the other day that I'm working desperately to keep my house cleaner this year.  I even named it.....

Well there has been definite progress.  I cleaned out a kitchen cabinet.  I set up a mail center.  I cleaned off the hall table.  I need the right flowers to put in a vase on that table.  I added a bowl for keys and I'm getting rid of the tray.  Hopefully this will cut down on the dumping ground space if it's pretty.  Last night I worked on the guest bedroom.  And it's definitely getting better, almost company ready.

The other day I pinned 4 Simple Rules for a Clean and Tidy House.  Guys, it is seriously changing my life.  Once again, dramatic, I know.  But it really is, I've gotten a different way of thinking about things.  It doesn't really take that long to pick up each day.  And when you do it each day there's no giant amount of cleaning to do.  Ever.  I know, my mother is cheering right now.  And maybe dancing.  Okay, maybe not dancing, but definitely cheering.  So, I am striving to make sure everything has a place and that everything returns to that place each day.  That means I'm going to stop having twenty pairs of shoes lying around the house.  More like five, but there are definitely more shoes out than ever should be.  If you can't put them all away in one arm load, I think it's a sign that there's a problem.

So, here's the gist of the rules.  Go read the whole thing yourself.  You will thank me.  I promise.


I keep writing and deleting....  I don't want to plagiarize.  Plagiarizing is so not cool.  Okay, let's try this again.  
1.  Make sure everything is put away before you go to bed.
2.  Do one cleaning job a day.
3.  Set a cleaning timer.
4.  Before you sit down for the day, spend a couple of minutes making sure everything is put away.

Now these are not my tips.  I'm not trying to take credit for them.  I just want to share their brilliance.  I pinned this at the beginning of the week and have been doing these things ever since.  My house is so much cleaner.  My kitchen counters have stayed uncluttered all week.  My pots are all put away and not sitting on the stove.  

I'm trying to actually start using my cleaning calendar.  I know it will help if I can just get in the habit.  We're getting better though and I'm feeling good about it.

What are you guys up to this weekend?  We're hoping to work on painting our house if it's not raining.  And I'm headed to a high school graduation.  What are your thoughts on Greek yogurt?  I'm still undecided.  I just spent at least twenty minutes eating a tiny carton of the stuff.  I want to like it because it's healthy but.....  Anyway, enjoy your weekend.  Go outside.

9 comments:

  1. We clean our kitchen every night before bed, but that's all I do as far as a cleaning schedule. I really need to work on cleaning everything else though! Like the laundry on the couch downstairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is usually the laundry on the bed in the spare bedroom. It was a mountain.

      Delete
  2. What fun to read that these tips are really having an impact! This is what I love about the internet: we can learn SO much from each other! Keep at it; it will be a habit in about 28 days! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the tips. Amazing! :)

      Delete
  3. I love the idea... but how do you start when the house is a MESS!

    Thanks for sharing! New follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I start with one small, totally feasible task to start with. I also really like giving myself a certain amount of time to work and then when I'm out of time I just come back to it the next day until I'm done.
      I set aside a week to purge and reorganize my office/craft room. It was done in like three days and I was completely shocked. But since I devoted so much time to getting it under control I've been better about putting things back where they go.
      And I'm forever trying new organizing systems. If one doesn't work, I try something else until it does work.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like 4 great basic tips!! It reminds me of FlyLady.net. I started doing FlyLady a couple weeks ago. Seems like a lot at first because she suggests making a binder to organize your schedules. You could skip the organizer if you wanted -- just do the daily "flight plan"! It's a little a day in one or two rooms, and you don't even have to think about WHICH job you want to do that day. She's set it up to get your cleaning done in a month. :)

      Delete
  4. I so need to do this! I wait until it's all piled up and then clean and it takes forever! I need to clean as I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's been my problem too. So I'm working really hard to get better at cleaning as I go.

      Delete